07 April 2021, 7am
H.C. Andersen Marathon
Sun 26 September 2021
But as an organiser for an event how do you prepare when you have no idea of what restrictions you will have to fulfil to satisfy the government, local authorities – and most importantly the participants?
In the light of rapidly-increasing numbers of people being vaccinated in Denmark, and some other parts of the world we are now 99.99% sure that the 21st edition of the H.C. Andersen Marathon will take place on the planned date, but with restrictions. So we are asking ourselves:
- Do we have to start in groups of 500 or 1,000 or can we do a full start (6,000)?
- Do we have to test all participants prior to the start?
- Will spectators be limited in the start and finish area?
- Will an Expo be allowed?
At the moment we just don’t know the answers to such questions – but we know that:
- It is Denmark’s fairytale Marathon, named after the famous fairytale writer Hans Christian Andersen (you see characters from his stories at each kilometre sign)
- The route will be the same car-free route as in 2018 and 2019: 2 laps of 21.1km
- It was the fastest Marathon route in 2019 based on the average finisher time (according to Scan Magazine, 05.03.2020)
- There are also a ½ Marathon, a 10km and a kids’ race at 4.2km (MiniMarathon)
- All participants will receive a unique T-shirt and finisher medal
- 700–800 volunteers will help your race go smoothly (but you still have to do the running)
- Denmark is a well-organised country and safe to travel in
- There are hotels at fair prices within 2.5km from the start and finish area
- the marathon starts and finishes just outside the centre of Odense and it is very easy to get around.
- Odense has the cleanest air among international Marathon races in 2019*
Whether you are an experienced runner or a debutant the H.C. Andersen Marathon will be the perfect stage for you and one of the first post-COVID-19 races. We look forward to seeing you on 26 September 2021 for the 21st HCA Marathon.
Register at: www.sportstiming.dk/event/6715
Groups and clubs: contact us for help to organise your participation.