Runners gain a wonderful panorama of Budapest’s most prominent sights
Autumn on the Danube
34th Wizz Air Budapest Half Marathon
Sun 8 September 2019
The Wizz Air Budapest Half Marathon offers a grand opening to the autumn running season in Hungary. The sweeping views of the city provide a beautiful backdrop for a run filled with music, smiles and comradeship.
Over 15000 runners take to the streets every year including almost 3000 foreign runners who combine their run with a weekend break in Budapest. After last year’s race 93% of them said they would recommend the event to a friend. Here are a few reasons why:
- The course: The route of the half marathon passes through the heart of the city. It affords a wonderful panorama of the most prominent sights of Budapest including the Castle Hill, Parliament building, Chain Bridge, and more.
- The atmosphere: Musicians of all styles pop up all around the course. At the start live drumming sends runners off on their adventure and over the 21km run runners are cheered on 14 times by folk music, DJs and jazz bands.
- The inclusivity: There is a distance for everyone. The Half Marathon Relay for 2 and Half Marathon Relay for 3 provide distances from 5km to 13km. Teams run the same time on the same course as individual runners so that everyone can get a taste of what running a half marathon is like in Budapest. There is also a 2km fun run to allow even the youngest of supporters to experience their running high.
- The comradeship: First-time half marathon runners receive a special bib to pin on their back. This allows experienced runners and supporters to give them a special cheer throughout their run.
- The memorabilia: For most runners the feeling at the finish line when completing their first half marathon, surpassing their best time, returning to the distance after time out or pushing through a tough race instead of giving up is invaluable and inimitable. Nonetheless, in Budapest everything is done so runners can re-live this moment as often as they would like. At the finish every runner’s achievement is crowned by a gorgeous medal being hung around their neck. All participants receive a running shirt which can be worn for training and used as motivation when preparing to their next goal.
- The level of organisation: The basic necessities of a worry-free run are carefully managed and well provided for. Timely and satisfying refreshments, medical supervision and a well-marked course are just a few of the essentials at any running event. The Budapest Half Marathon organising team places great importance on delivering the highest quality event down to the smallest detail.. A Facebook overall review score of 4.8 out of 5 and individual reviews are all testimony to that. In 2017 an Austrian runner wrote “Very cool city and the run was top class.” and in 2018 a British runner commented: “Amazing! Absolutely amazing! Very well organised, gorgeous views, psyched runners”.
- The city: The world-wide running boom has coincided with the tourism boom in Budapest and made the Wizz Air Budapest Half Marathon a truly international event. Almost a quarter of the half marathon runners arrive from more than 80 countries. Most visitors come from within Europe but some travel much further. Every year we get participants from New Zealand – geographically the other end of the Earth from Hungary. Other than running, Budapest has a wide range of offerings to make a fully-fledged city getaway out of your trip. An all-time favourite among runner visitors are the thermal baths. Budapest is rich in natural thermal springs which allow runners to soak the strain out of their legs in imposing indoor and outdoor spas, the oldest of which dates back to the 17th century. Or for those who have not taxed themselves to their limits there is the 5km running lap around leafy Margaret Island right in the middle of the city.
The Wizz Air Budapest Half Marathon is part of the ‘Run in Budapest’ series, which also includes a Spring Half Marathon and the Budapest Marathon – both providing the same quality and atmosphere with different distances.