22 October 2020, 12pm
The decision was unanimously taken this morning by the local institutions and municipalities involved (Verbania-Baveno-Stresa), having noted the sharp increase in infections from Covid-19 that the area is currently experiencing. For public health reasons, it was decided that the conditions for the event no longer exist.
“While remaining optimistic in life and for the future, we are devastated and deeply sorry for what is happening,” said Paolo Ottone, President of Sport PRO-MOTION A.S.D. “We believed in the race until the meeting this morning with the authorities. All the organising staff have been working hard in recent months, without ever underestimating the Covid19 problem, indeed making it the priority of every operational plan implemented to be able to organize the SPORTWAY Lago Maggiore Marathon in safety, based on current government regulations and the Fidal protocol that we would have respected to the letter.”
“As always, we worked with great enthusiasm and ability,” continued Ottone, “We demonstrated this by changing the route originally planned from Arona to Verbania just three weeks ago due to the collapse of a section of the SS33 just outside Arona. We also demonstrated on that occasion that we do not lose heart, but immediately find a solution. We can only take note of the decision and start to prepare for 2021 – from Arona to Verbania, on the most scenic route in Italy.”
Sport PRO-MOTION A.S.D. announced that in the next few days each registered participant will be notified of how to transfer their registration fee to the 10th SPORTWAY Lago Maggiore Marathon to be held on Sunday 7 November 2021.