05 June 2020, 11am
The Kobe Marathon, scheduled for 15 November and which had 19.444 finishers last year, has announced that the race has been cancelled.
Among the reasons cited is the cancellation of other races around the same time:
- problems recruiting medical staff due to coronavirus.
- the difficulty of maintaining social distancing by runners during the race.
- the possibility of a 2nd and 3rd wave spreading infection due to overcrowding during the race.
- a sharp decrease in the number of entries from overseas.
- the decrease in the number of volunteers due to coronavirus.
- as most of the road races scheduled in November in Japan have been cancelled it would be difficult to hold only the Kobe Marathon.